This week has been a bit of an odd one and I found myself feeling pretty glum on my way home tonight. I feel a little better now I am home and cosy for the evening. Tuesdays seem to feel like Mondays for me lately and I wonder if Monday night I am just full of euphoria at making it through the ‘worst’ day.
Anyway, here’s this weeks list
1. I’ve been getting a new bus to work for the last few days and it means I can leave the house slightly later and no longer have to change in town. The only issue is that the times it arrives seem to vary a bit so I need to get it for the whole week to see if it (generally) gets me to work on time. I already get the same bus home in the evenings and it made a huge difference to my day when I discovered it. It means my journey time was cut in half and I’m in favor of anything that gets me home quicker!
2. This was actually supposed to be a photo of the totoro drinking flask that I got as a Christmas gift but has actually turned into more like a picture of a personal corner of my desk. I have 2 calendars up – the one you can barely see is the ‘my sad cat’ calendar. If you aren’t familiar with the twitter account @MYSADCAT, then I suggest you check it out. If you want to know a little more about the melancholy cat behind the pictures, he goes by the name of the Bear and there is a wonderful piece about him by his owner Tom here. Also pictured is my solar powered owl, who swivels his head around all day long, a postcard from Stay Home Club and my other calendar – a sheep one that came in a previous kawaii box. The drinking flask has been great because a) it has a handy strap to carry it with so I don’t have to juggle that, a hot cup of coffee and trying to scan my ID card to get back into my office b) it’s not too big (400ml) so it doesn’t feel like a struggle to finish and I keep keep track of how much I am drinking by tracking on my fitbit and c) IT HAS A TOTORO ON IT!
3. Speaking of cats…I was actually trying to take a picture of this blanket but my cat (Cabaret) wanted to get in the photo. He then proceeded to climb all over me and dribble. Back to the blanket though – this is actually a bit of a personal ‘hurrah’ moment because this week I finally started edging this blanket which I have been working on, on and off for probably close to 10 years. I promised myself that I would finish it this year and I’ve accepted that I can’t find anymore of the pink yarn so cannot add on more hexagons so edging time it is! Once it’s fully completed, I’ll post a proper photo of it.
4. Lastly, this is an awful photo as my bus started moving just as I took it – but it lifted me up a little to realise that it’s almost not dark when I leave work now. I wont go so far as to say that it’s light but I do seem to be catching some pretty looking sunsets which must mean it’s not fully dark.
And now I am going to go and watch more Parks and Rec, because I can’t get enough of it.
Till next time…
Here I am again, 1 week in. I haven’t done much else with this space as yet but I have a few ideas kicking around. Just waiting for the energy and inclination to kick in.
Here are this week’s tiny things;
1. I got this nail varnish free in my kawaii box last month and I put some on at the weekend. I must admit, I mainly picked it out because it was a fairly dark, opaque shade compared to the other polishes I have and my reason for wanting to put on some polish was that I had had a hair dye mishap and dyed my fingernails (and fingers) a rather scary shade of purple. The MOST exciting thing about this polish was when I went to bed last night and realised it glows in the dark! What can I say, I am easily impressed!
2. One of my closest friends gave me this spoon necklace at the weekend. If you are curious as to why I would be wearing a spoon, you may wish to have a read of the spoon theory. As a bonus, this one is special as it has a crown on it so ties into my love for Alice in Wonderland.
3. Bandcamp! this is becoming one of my favorite places to buy music from. As their tagline says – it allows you to buy music directly from the people who make it. It also means that you can access your library of everything you have brought from there via their excellent app (I use the iTunes version but I’m sure there are other ones) There are loads of songs you can download for free on there or just give what you like to the artist. My latest listens on there are Fashnu and Spoonboy. You can also check out the excellent Deathsex Bloodbath who I may or may not know and may or may not have performed on stage with.
4. Lastly, this feels a little like product placement but this chocolate coconut milk from Tesco is great. Before I was vegan, I was never a fan of milk so I don’t tend to have cereal, milk in hot drinks or anything else particularly milk based (aside from froothy coffees when I am out somewhere that isn’t work or home) A glass of this seems like a decent way to get calcium and other good stuff. It’s also not too thick so feels quite refreshing to drink, unlike something like a milkshake. I suspect in summer I could use it at the basis for a good cocktail too.
Till next time…
The idea behind this post came to me earlier today so I thought I would strike while the inspiration was fresh.
I have been struggling physically and mentally lately. I thought it may do me good to look each week (or so) at the little things that have helped to make my life brighter and the small achievements I have made.
1. I sewed my stay home club patch on my ukulele bag this week. It’s gradually getting filled up with nice things and looks less like the boring black bag I brought.
2. I’ve been using some tiny cat stickers I brought off of ebay for 99p to decorate my diary and plan for future events. My diary is by Flow and is absolutely beautiful. It’s helped me feel more centered to have things to plan and look forward to as well as stopping those awful “have I double booked myself?” panics. I find having cute things to plan with really soothing – it appears to my stationery geek side as well as my inner administrator/secretary!
3. The new Sleater-Kinney album arrived in my mailbox today and I’m really enjoying it so far although I’m kinda letting it wash over me rather than focusing on the lyrics as yet. I’m so excited to see them when the tour the UK in London and Manchester.
4. Libraries! Oh how I love you. I am lucky to have a couple that I can visit. This is my currently to read/reading pile. I love being able to find stuff I never knew existed as well as things I have wanted to read for a while. I’ve been keeping a list in the back of my diary of things to look forward to. My city’s library has a really good online catalog too.
Till next time…